Thursday, September 26, 2013

The most important job I know


I am enrolled in a parenting class.  I've only been there 1 1/2 weeks and already I feel the need to be a better mother.  Being a mother is the most important job I know. President Herold B. Lee said, "The greatest work we will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."  This is very true especially in a time when the world puts a lot of demands on us.  I need to teach my children the importance of being in the world but not of the world.  A mother's role can't be replaced by any other caregiver.  A mother needs to be there to teach her children.  She needs to be there to nurture them and to comfort them.  Parenthood is compared to the parable of the talents.  The 1st man received 5 talents.  He did the very best that he could and doubled his talents as well as the next man.  The third man failed to magnify his talents.  We are given our children and then we need to raise them up in love and righteousness the best that we can, so that we can return to our Heavenly Father and tell him we did our very best trying to raise them, the way he would have us do.  Parents need to be involved in their children's lives.  They need to be their support.  "No other success can compensate for failure in the home."  We live in dark times but we need to go forth with faith pushing fear aside.  I am a mother and that is a very important job, even though the world wouldn't agree.
Attached is one of my favorite videos from Elder Holland about mothers.
The importance of mothers

No comments:

Post a Comment