Thursday, May 7, 2015

Raising the Title of Liberty High



 
Does this make you want to raise the Title of Liberty?  WhyHow?

I really enjoyed reading again the story of the Title of Liberty.  I could just imagine how angry             Captain Moroni had become over Amalicikiah's deception over the Nephite people.  The Title             of Liberty was a covenant that the Nephites made with God.  I loved how Brother Rarick from           BYU-Idaho described the Title of Liberty.  He presented it in a way that I had never though of            before.  First of all the Title of Liberty found in Alma 46:12 says, "In memory of our God, our            religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children."  He pointed out that there            is an "our" before every phrase except freedom.  He said that religion and freedom are tied            together.  I liked that. I also like how Brother Rarick pointed out that the Title of Liberty doesn't         say our families, it specifically says "our wives, and our children."  Satan is so upset that he            won't every have the privilege of having a body or a family that he is willing to destroy those             hat can, especially women.  Brother Rarick also made an interesting point that I had never            thought of before.  He said that Satan encourages eating disorders in women because this is             a way that he can destroy their bodies so they can't have children.  Wow I had never thought             of this before.  Do I want to raise the Title of Liberty at my house?  Most definitely YES YES            YES!!  I'm almost tempted to make one that fly outside of my house everyday as a daily            reminder. 


At what doors do you have a tendency to “check your religion”? How are you going to address this?
 
I know someone that is a member, but wanted to go to the bar that night so that she could hear these amazing dueling pianos.  When I heard that she was going this made me sad.  The point is to avoid the appearances of evil.  Even though you are just going to the bar to hear the pianos, you are still in a bar.  I tried to tell her that the Holy Ghost wouldn't go inside with her, he would wait outside. 


                Another example, is on my mission we weren't allowed to drink Malta's.  They were a soda drink, but they were in the same bottle as beer.  We were to avoid the appearance of evil.  We did drink one or two only because we didn't have any bottled water in the house and we were desperate for something to drink, especially after fast Sunday. 

 And thirdly, my husband has been going to an exercise class.  I end up watching the                         morning class just because we are hanging out at the park playing.  It is startling and very sad            to see most of the class as members of the church, yet come come immodestly dressed to do            the exercises.  And they are becoming more and more of them doing it.  They are definitely            setting a trend amongst themselves.  To me, the wearing of the garment is such a sacred thing.  I take those covenants seriously.  As part of the temple recommend interview there is a paragraph that can be read to you from the Bishop or Stake President that says wearing the garment is an outward display of an inward commitment.  I want the protection that the garments give constantly.  I only take them when needed.  I don't look for opportunities to take them off.  Plus there are many non-members in this class, and what kind of example are these ladies setting for others around them. 

How can you personally better keep the baptismal covenant “to stand as [a witness] of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in”? (Remember that at baptism and in the temple we already covenanted and enlisted in the Lord’s army)

Sometimes it might be hard to stand up for your beliefs.  Sometimes you might even have to            stand alone. This reminds me of a few years ago.  My sister and I had a summer job.  At one            point during the summer my sister felt impressed to give the boss a Book of Mormon.  Well            once she received it, everyone working there began to teach and harass us.  They tried to make us feel uncomfortable.  But my sister and I had to stand strong.  This boss later got baptized.  Unfortunately she isn't currently active.  But it was brave of my sister to give her the Book of Mormon to begin with.  We need to be a light to others. 
              
As a family advocate (aka: a disciple of Christ), how has this week’s material been helpful to you?
           
This lesson, especially listening to Brother Rarick, made me want to defend the family even            more.  I would love to become a Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE).  After listening to him,        I wanted this even more.  We have to take we know and what we are learning and use it stand up for the family.  We have to defend the truth.  I love the Family Proclamation.  This could even be our banner that we are waving today, reminding those around us the basic truths that are being forgotten and twisted, and distorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment