As parents we need to focus more on the kind of time we give our children. Just recently, my son wanted me to play cars with him. It was hard to pull myself away from school to do so but I did for a little bit. You can only play cars so much, right? Or he doesn't like how you are playing. Well right next to me I had my homework ready to pick up for when I got bored. This isn't what I should have done. I should have played until he got bored. I shouldn't have been so quick to do what I wanted to do. That is so easy to do when you have so much that needs to be done. My husband is better at doing this than I. He can enjoy running around with the kids in the backyard, or wrestling with them, or having a nerf dart war with them. As parents we need to seek out quality individual time with our kids. We need to be affectionate with them. We need to praise our children appropriately.
In the book The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting (page 42) it says, "It's fine to make your home comfortable and attractive, but no amount of fancy upholstery, plush carpeting, or state-of-the-art electronics can take the place of warm and affectionate climate where people treat each other with affection, kindness, and respect." This is so true. Even though nice things are fun to have around (maybe when everyone has moved out so that it doesn't get destroyed by the children) it is more important for the children to know that they are loved.
Another quote from The Ten Basic Principles of Good Parenting (page 49) says, "Parenting is not a part-time endeavor. It's not something you do only when you feel like it, or only when you remember to pay attention to your child, or only when your child is in some sort of trouble." Parenting is a full time sometimes exhausting job, yet it is the most important job.
I interviewed my mom this week, advice that she gave me for having good communication with my kids is to spend quality time with them. Look for ways to give them one-on-one attention, even if it is for 15 minutes. She also said that we need to spend quality time with our children. We need to have activities that build family relations and we need to have unconditional love for our children. My mom growing up would have lots of late night chats with us after we would come home from dates and activities. She felt like this was important because that was when we wanted to talk. That's when we opened up. She said it is so important to be at the cross-roads for your kids. I really appreciated this advice and hopefully I can be as good as a mom as she was.
Friday, November 8, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment