Thursday, May 22, 2014

Sticking to a Budget

This week we are learning more about budgeting our money.  "A budget is only as good as you make it."  I really liked that quote from the reading.  I usually let my husband worry about the budget.  He puts it all into an Excel spreadsheet.  I don't know why but it really overwhelms me.  I need to be better at budgeting all of our money but the allotment that is given to me each month.  I seem to over spend each month.  I really liked the suggestion that in our reading this week, that we won't have a good idea of our budget unless we are keeping good records.  We need to keep track for at least 12 months so that we have a better idea of how we are spending our money.  I just found an app for my phone that is simple to use and I can easily add expenses and it will keep track for me.  I'm kind of excited to pursue this option more.  I want to be more money efficient.  I hope that this app will allow me to have better control over the money that I have stewardship.

I also liked in our reading that the whole family needs to be involved in planning out the money.  And when necessary contribute to to the family fiances.  It is important to teach our children the importance of the dollar.  We need to teach them to save their money.  My children just got a little job mowing and taking care of their Great-Grandma's lawn.  She pays them a small amount with the expectation that they are to pay their tithing, then put some into savings.  She also gives a little extra money to my husband for his services as well.  This money goes directly into their missionary fund.  I think that this is good for them.  They have already learned lessons in saving their money for bigger toys.  It is also nice that they have their own money so that they can buy something if they want.  

No comments:

Post a Comment