Thursday, March 19, 2015

Advanced Stress Models

This semester we have learning about different models that could potentially help families in times of stress.  They give coping skills to help families through these stressful times.  As the weeks have progressed the models have become more intense and more encompassing.  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around some of these models still.  This week we learned about the FAAR model and the Typology Model created by Marilyn and Hamilton McCubbin and with the help of Joan Patterson.  The maps are quite extensive but can really help in understand families.  I don't know that I totally understood the models until I watched a lecture by one of the teachers.  His explanation really helped me and then I could see that that really does apply to me and my family.  I could see my family on different paths of the model.  I just talked to my sister yesterday and I would say that she is in the exhausted phase making her coping skills go down.  Her health is becoming an issue as she tries to deal with the stress in her life.  A few years ago we had to help take care of my husband's dying grandfather.  This was a really hard time in our life because we had so many other things going on in our life.  Looking back, even though it was hard there were little blessing and miracles along the way.  I'm thankful to these family scholars who saw the need to take the ABCX model into more detail to help understand more components of families in stress.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment