Friday, June 5, 2015

Government and Advocacy

  • What did you learn about the role of government in advocacy?
It has been interesting to learn more about the government and the United Nations.  I remember when the proclamation came out and just knew that it was a nice document for  that day but that it was really written for today.  It has been interesting learning about the United Families International and they views that they have.  We have watched several presentations the last few weeks.  One of the ladies brought up the point that in 1995 the United Nations was trying to pass several bills that were in exact opposition of the Family Proclamation.  I didn't know this until just now.  Wow that makes me appreciate the Family Proclamation even more.  Our church leaders are so inspired.  We can make a difference in government.  We need to make our voice heard.  We have to realize that there is a lot of good out there but Satan is also working against all the good.  The opposition is strong. 

  • What did you learn about the challenges of government involvement?
The government has gotten involved in many ways, in many different facets.  Sometimes it has been for the good.  The NCLB act was created several years ago and I don't think that was the best proposed plan.  They want 100% success.  They are offering Federal funding to schools that meet their goals.  This has created a test-teaching method in teachers.  They have stopped teaching for the love of just teaching.  On the other hand the government intervened on behalf of those with handicaps.  Now there are so many programs and resources available to them.  Government intervention can be good, but then it can also be bad. 

  • What did you learn from your classmates this week?
It is fun to meet with our group each week.  They always help me to see things just a little differently.  We had a good conversation about government and how it effects us. One of my classmates said that her son has aspergeers.  At one point in his diagnosis they wanted her to sign a document that he would be under the states direction.  Her and her husband didn't feel comfortable with this.  They then had to go it alone. That is scary if it comes to the day when government trumps the parents decisions.  We need to protect the family so that doesn't happen.

  • Other thoughts or impressions?
This week we had to read a talk by President Benson titled "Our Divine Constitution."  It was a talk given in 1987 General Conference.  I really liked this talk.  It reminded me how inspired our founding fathers were.  They were so many men that had to come together to agree on a document for our whole country.  A few years ago I read Prelude to Glory by Ron Carter.  Theses are great books.  They are a historical fiction talking about the Revolutionary War and how the Constitution came to be.  This made me appreciate all that was done to protect our freedom.  And I love how the founding fathers came to Wilford Woodruff asking to have their temple work done.  This just shows how amazing these men were.  And then you look at politicians today who are corrupt and doing all kinds of bad things.  One line stood out to me in this talk he said, "We must become involved in civic affairs to see that we are properly represented."  My husband's patriarchal blessing says something to effect that he needs to do his civic duty.  He has been confused by this statement for years.  As I read this my thought was my husband needs to be a defender of the constitution.  I told him this was little bit of inspiration for him.  He then questioned me as to how he would do that.  Just like I've been learning about the family, he needs to learn all he can about the Constitution so that he can defend it.  I think together we would make a great team.  He could defend the constitution and I could defend the family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment