Relating to Law and Policymaking:
- How did the lesson material this week inform your understanding about law and policymaking? What specific insights did you gain?
Many
times when policies are being proposed there is little thought as to
how it will affect the family and often time those developing the policy
don't communicate with family authorities or family advocates. That
gives us more reason to stand up for the family. We need to be aware of
the family issues and be willing to defend them, even if it means
standing alone. It seems that the winds of the world today are very
strong and that even members of the church are being swayed by outside
influences.
- What did you learn from Dr. Bogenschneider's chapters?
I
like a quote from her chapter it says "The family is the most powerful,
the most humane, and by far the most economical system known for
building competence and character." I really like this quote. If the
family is such a powerful force, then way are people going so far away
from it. We are in the last days and Satan is working extra hard to
destroy families.
I also found it interesting to
read in her chapters that 4 out of 5 Americans think that it is harder
to raise a child today then it was in the 50's. I don't doubt that with
all the temptations that we have around us. Satan is trying to fill
our lives with busy work, and mind numbing activities so that we can't
function a whole person. But I also think the 50's we have all kinds of
great shows that describe the American family. We have Andy Griffith
show, I love Lucy, Leave it to Beaver, etc. I watch these shows and
life just seems so much slower, everything is perfect. You have the mom
staying home taking care of the household while the husband is off
supporting his family. I guess what is portrayed is that life was
perfect. But I'm sure that families still had their struggles. They
still had the daily fights and battles and raising children would still
have been a hard task. I think the daily tasks of family life are
hard. And sometimes as a parent it is thankless job, you become an
invisible person that no one cares about. Your children place more
demands on you, or complaints on you than you can handle. Mother's in
the 50's would still have had some of these same trials. Raising
children today is harder because there is just so much more out there to
get into trouble.
Relating to A Sacred Duty: By Richard Wilkins and Ester Rashband
- Having completed the book, how has your understanding and perception increased on the process of international policy and law?
First
of all I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a book that was
interesting from the beginning all the way to the end. This is the
story of Richard Wilkins a law professor at BYU. He was asked to go to
Turkey to a United Nations convention. He didn't think he was anybody
important, but there were miracles that happened along the way that
opened up doors for him to advocate for the family. The Lord blesses
those whom he chooses. He put into Richard's mouth the things that
needed to be said at this conference so that he could be an influence
for good. Others that came to this conference were inspired by his
viewpoints and courage. International law is more powerful than we
think and we need people there who understand what is going on, who can
read through the lingo to make sure that the right policies are being
put into place.
- What did you learn from Professor Wilkins?
He
was an amazing man. He thought he had a life plan and was working on
that, but then Heavenly Father guided his footsteps down another path
that he was needed more. He was strengthened in his fight against the
Woman's Caucus group. He testified of the truth. He was able to take
the newly written Family Proclamation and defend it. It was grueling
work and took a lot out of him, but his determination to see this
through helped him. He wanted to make sure that things didn't get put
into law that the world would regret later. He was able to find
"brotherhood" in those that were also fighting for the traditional
family. We need to be like Professor Wilkins and stand up for what we
believe in, even when we doubt ourselves and think that we aren't good
enough. If we are defending the truth, if we are defending the family,
the Lord will meet us half way.
- Were there other insightful lessons you gained from the book? If so, explain.
I
really enjoyed reading this book. I was pleasantly surprised how easy
it was to read. At first I felt a little burdened down that I would
have to read the whole book this week and wished that I started sooner.
However it was a fast read and super fascinating. I happened to tell
my husband about it and throughout the day he kept asking me what
happened next. This book opened my mind as to the processes of the
United Nations better and see how important it is to be there and be a
voice for good. It was amazing to see all the little blessings the
Professor Wilkins was blessed with throughout this conference. This
book created an even bigger desire to find ways to advocate for
families. I'm not sure what my end goal will be, but I can do things
right here close to home.
No comments:
Post a Comment