Even though the focus of Elder Bednar’s talk To Sweep the Earth as with a Flood is sharing the gospel, how did he connect that doing family advocacy work using social media is, in effect, sharing the gospel?
Social
media is where people are at. More and more people are connected
online then they are in person. There are so many great things we can
do on social media to share the gospel. The church has so many great
videos that would be easily attachable to any post, and there are so
many topics they cover. I don't know about you, but I'm a visual person
so I was made available to some of these movies they would leave an
impression on me. In fact right now, my neighbor's dad will soon be
passing away. I've been trying to find something that could touch her
life at this trying time.
Even
though it is scary everything that is out there to tempt us, there are
so many great things we can be involved in. Satan progresses his work
along, but the church is pushing forward with so many great tools. For
example the missionaries are now given I-Pads to help in teaching the
gospel. I was a missionary and it would have been so great to share
these great videos with those that we were teaching.
Family
History has been able to take huge leaps and bounds with today's
technology. We have been able to update records, index and find our
ancestors like never before. I also testify with Elder Bednar who has
given a great promise to the youth should they get involved in this
great work. He says:
"It
is no coincidence that FamilySearch and other tools have come forth at a
time when young people are so familiar with a wide range of information
and communication technologies. Your fingers have been trained to text
and tweet to accelerate and advance the work of the Lord—not just to
communicate quickly with your friends. The skills and aptitude evident
among many young people today are a preparation to contribute to the
work of salvation.
As
you respond in faith to this invitation, your hearts shall turn to the
fathers. The promises made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob will be
implanted in your hearts. Your patriarchal blessing, with its
declaration of lineage, will link you to these fathers and be more
meaningful to you. Your love and gratitude
for your ancestors will increase. Your testimony of and conversion to
the Savior will become deep and abiding. And I promise you will be
protected against the intensifying influence of the adversary. As you
participate in and love this holy work, you will be safeguarded in your
youth and throughout your lives."
I think that is a beautiful
promise. We will be protected for the rest of our lives. Who couldn't
benefit from this promise. I would love to get my kids involved early
so that they can have this blessing. Even though there are some bad
things with social media, this is another way to progress the work of
the Lord. It also opens doors to the church in countries that won't
allow the missionaries.
What
has been your primary purpose for using technology, social media, and
the Internet? Has it been to uplift and edify, or to isolate and idle?
How could you improve in your stewardship over these technological
blessings the Lord has given us?
Right
now most of online time is spent doing school work. I have chosen not
to have any social media accounts because I don't want to waste my time
with them. I see so often how it takes over your life. I will probably
have to get into social media once my kids discover it so that I can
follow them and monitor their online activity. I find myself always
turning to my phone or the internet or something. It is almost a little
scary how dependent we become. My ear has been trained to listen to
the chime of my phone lately. I don't like how that is happening. I'm
tempted to turn my phone off completely and only check in occasionally
throughout the day. This would help me connect better with my own
kids. I would say that being in school, especially at BYU-Idaho has
been very edifying, but it has also been very time consuming. I feel
like I'm going good on the computer, and I'm in safe places, but is it
is habit forming. It seems that every semester there is one day that is
a bigger cruncher than the rest where I will put my family to bed and
stay up to finish some assignment (like this one:)) That is creating a
bad habit of being plugged in right before bed time. This doesn't help
with restful sleep. I will definitely have to make some changes once
I'm done with school. I would like to unplug more and connect with those
right here. Also when I'm done with school I would like to do indexing
in my spare time. I love all the material the church has and have even
shared some of these messages with friends who aren't of our faith.
What connections did you see between Jennifer Aaker’s video and Elder Bednar’s article?
Our
efforts online and in social media will have a ripple effect. We might
share it with someone. They are touched with it that they share it
with someone so that we are able to reach so many more people throughout
the world. We can do so much good in the world be standing up for our
beliefs and sharing them. In the social media setting it seems like
that isn't as hard as it is in inviting someone to your home to hear the
missionaries. There is not commitment, there is no awkwardness when
they decline. As we share our messages we are planting seeds that might
grow with that person or someone else.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment