This week we have had to do a speech about ourselves. It seems like we were giving the speech all over the place. We had to send it to a tutor, we presented in front of our group, posted it on a discussion board and submitted it to the teacher. Phew! I know. But I think that all of this was good practice. It was great to have all the different audiences. I'm not a fan of seeing myself on the computer screen so that is always a little un-nerving. But submitting it to the tutor was helpful. She couldn't meet live so I just sent her a link. She gave some great tips. I feel like she was truly honest. I was then able to go to my group to present it. That was super fun. Not as nerve wracking and very helpful to get live feedback. Meeting in the group we didn't find too much wrong with each speech. We just gave areas that we could refine. Posting it on the discussion board was a chance to get lots of feedback from others in the class. It will also be nice to get the teacher's input.
Overall, through this experience I had many opportunities to practice my speech. I'm sure that my speech got better with each presentation. There are still areas that I can improve. I get nervous and speak way to fast. I need to try to slow it down. I need to appeal more to the audience and not worry about getting through the speech. I could add more pauses, make it more natural. It definitely helps to practice this.
I enjoyed watching General Conference this weekend. I think they all are great at public speaking. They don't make the Sacrament meeting wise cracks that we often hear. I know they have teleprompters to help them. But none of them seem nervous even though I'm sure that it would super hard to do that. There are some ladies especially that I've noticed that get kind of a cotton mouth when they are up there. Conference time is a wonderful time. And we have some great examples of good speeches. I'm sure that they are practicing their talks often, we just don't see that side of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment