This was a great week of learning. We had to read several articles about our self worth. We all have a purpose here on earth. There are things that we are to do that no one else can do. Sherri Dew told of a story when she was a freshman in college. She really wanted to try out for the BYU basketball team but got too nervous. She paced the halls trying to tell herself to go in but in the end just went home. She hadn't really mentioned this to anyone. One day she was asked to come to athlete's at BYU and speak. She told this story. The lady that had invited her to speak was the coach at the time for the woman's basketball team. When Sherri Dew sat down she told her side of the story. She said that year they were missing a player all year. They didn't play with a whole team. She was trying to find someone to fill that spot but never could. That made Sherri feel bad that she hadn't tried out. In this talk titled No One Can Take Your Place by Sherri Dew, she said, "No one can take your place in your family or with your friends. No one can take your place in your ward or your extended family, in your neighborhood or at the company where you work. No one can have the influence you have been prepared to have on all who come within your sphere of influence. Without question, no one can fulfill your foreordained mission. No one can do what you were sent here to do. No one." I really like that quote.

We also had to read The Reflection in the Water by President Dieter Uchtdorf. He first told of the story of the ugly duckling. We have all at one time in our life probably felt like the ugly duckling. We couldn't see our potential. A few years ago I was in a dark place. I was trying to get pregnant and it wasn't working. I just kept getting more and more distraught. I felt pretty ugly. I started comparing myself to those around me. I couldn't keep a pristine house like Lisha, I wasn't caught up on my chores that the only things I had left was washing walls like Grandma, I can't run like Laurie. The list when on and on. I was starting to feel like a nobody. One day I had to wake up and pull myself up. I started writing down all the things that I did do. When I did that I realized that I might not do cool things like everyone else but I definitely was a talented, beautiful,child of God. In this talk by President Uchtdorf he says, "My dear friends, this knowledge allows you to see your own reflection in the water. It assures you that you are not ordinary, rejected, or ugly. You are something divine, more beautiful and glorious than you can possibly imagine." He continues by saying, "Do you think our Father in Heaven wants you to feel depressed and sad? He wants no such thing. He has provided the commandments, which are the royal road to life of purpose, peace and joy. All we need to do is follow it."
Other quotes from this talk:
"The truth is the only perfect people you might know are those you don't know very well."
"Since you won't find perfection in your partner, and your partner won't find it in you, your only chance at perfection is in creating perfection together."
"Magic sparkle needs continued polishing. When the magic endures in a relationship, it's because the couple made it happen, not because it mystically appeared due to some cosmic force."
President Uchtdorf pleads with us to look at our reflections. This reminded me of Lion King. Simba has run away from his problems. Rafiki tells Simba to look at his reflection. He sees his father who reminds him to "
Remeber who he is" This is a great lesson for us. We need to remember who
we are. We are sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father.
This week we also talked about what the world says and does to make us feel inferior. We watched this clip
Evolution. No wonder our vision is distorted. We are seeing photoshopped pictures of models.
I must love Dove commercials because I remembered this one that I had to watch for class awhile back.
Beauty Sketchers
And finally we read a talk by Howard W. Hunter titled "What is True Greatness?" A few quotes that I liked from his talk were:
"There is within each of us a giant struggling with celestial homesickness."
Quoting Joseph F. Smith he said, "Those things which we call extraordinary, remarkable, or unusual may make history, but they do not make real life. After all, to do well those things which God ordained to be the common lot of all mankind, is the truest greatness. To be a successful father or successful mother is greater than to be a successful general or a successful statesman."
"At the same time we encourage you to remember who your are. Don't let the illusion of fleeting worldly greatness overcome you."
Quoting Joseph F. Smith again he says, "Let us not be trying to substitute an artificial life for the true one." (and this is an interesting comment because it came out long before we had the internet.)
I really enjoyed all these movies and quotes. We need to look at our reflection and see ourselves the way our Heavenly Father does.
No comments:
Post a Comment