Thursday, November 19, 2015

Improving our Relationships

I really like this quote from Elder Kendrick.  We had to read his talk this week titled Christlike Communication.  This caused me to really think about my communications with my family.  Are they where they should be?  I know that I could be so much better.  I feels like recently I've become so distracted and only half listening to those in my own family.  I've even noticed that I'm texting more, and texting when someone is talking to me.  I hate when people do that to me and here I have found myself doing it.  It isn't intentional.  I need to put some blocks on my phone so that I only have a small window when texts come in.  I also felt bad today because my toddler son, who spends way to much time in front of the TV because of my school work, we played a fun game of bouncing a ball into a net.  He liked the activity so much that he wanted to do it as soon as he woke up.  I didn't have the time to do it with right then.  He still would love it if I would go and do it.  It's little things like that are starting to become alarming.  I need to put more emphasis on the little things in my life. 
We also read a talk by Elder Holland titled The Tongue of Angels.  He reminded us the importance of bridling our words.  I don't think we understand the power of our words.  Are we speaking to a child appropriately?  I have a sister that never screens her words and has offended many people because of the things she has said.
We also learned about love languages this week.  That is always an interesting subject.  My love language is quality time and physical touch.  The quality time is not hard to get, it's just planning the time.  It's the physical touch we struggle with in our house.  That isn't my husband's love language so it is hard to feel that love when he isn't willing to fill my love tank.  I on the other hand could be better at trying to fill his love tank so that maybe his tank will be full to fill my tank.  


No comments:

Post a Comment