Friday, January 17, 2014

Marriage is Forever



Marriage truly is celestial and lasts forever if we work at it all the time.  We can't ever get to a 
point and think that we have done our best, then give up.  Elder Oaks April 2007 said, "A marriage, like a human life, is a precious, living thing.  If our bodies are sick, we seek to heal them.  We do not give up.  While there is any prospect of life, we seek healing again and again.  The same should be true of our marriages, and if we seek Him, the Lord will help us and heal us."  (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, Divorce, May 2007, Divorce)  I love this quote.  It makes me think of my marriage as a plant.  My marriage needs nourishment like a plant does.

Elder Oaks continued in this same talk "Don't treasure up past wrongs, reprocessing them again and again.  In a marriage relationship, festering is destructive; forgiving is divine."  I think so often we remember all the bad that happen and don't just let it become water under the bridge.  I know that I did that a lot more when I was first married.  

Finally at the end of his talk he said which sums it all up, "In all of this, we should realize that a good marriage does not require a perfect man or a perfect woman.  It only requires a man and woman committed to strive together toward perfection."  This was a great article talking about the importance of marriages and the damaging results of divorce.  I think people these days, just give up when it is tough.  Heavenly Father didn't send us down here to fail.  He wants our marriages to last forever.  It is the adversary who is trying to destroy us and our marriages.  

We have to remember that as men and women we think differently, just like in the following clip. It's not about the nail  We have to be considerate of one another.  Sometimes it just takes listening to one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment