"Appreciating the "every day" in marriage
"This is much like mundane marriage. It may seem tedious and trivial. Our minds-and our hearts-may wander. But those who consecrate themselves to their marriage by bringing their whole souls as an offereing to the everyday events of a relationship are building a storehouse of sweet memories. They are building an eternal relationship one brick at a time."
(Goddard, H. W. (2007). Consecration: Zion cannont be built up unless it is by principles of the law of the Celestial Kingdom. Drawing heaven into your marriage: powerful principles with eternal results (p. 109). Fairfax, VA: Meridian Pub..)
I really like that quote. We really are building an eternal relationship "one brick at a time." In marriage we have to do exactly as this quote says we have to consecrate our whole souls to our relationship. I know that we in marriage just automatically get put in a consecrating situation with our family. But I really learned to appreciate this law on my mission. Usually all of my companions kept everything separate. We were encouraged to buy our groceries and cook together. Which we normally did but we were all careful to get our change back. And we each paid for our own bus passage. However with one companion it wasn't this way. After the grocery store I would ask her if she wanted her change and she said, "No, just keep it, we'll have to ride the bus together or buy more food." To her, the money didn't matter. It seemed that our relationship was more spiritual because we weren't worried about the temporal needs. This is what happens in marriage. As we live the law of consecration in our marriages, we live a spiritual relationship.
This week we also learned about the power of forgiveness. This is also so very important. We watched a Mormon Message that was powerful. I've included the link because it is the "ultimate" in forgiveness.
This man shows a true Christ-like attributes. Here he lost most of his family all because of a drunk driver. Yet he uses this opportunity to truly forgive the person who did this. His attitude toward this young boy, probably saved his life and didn't ruin it. May we all of the attitude of this man in our relationships with others. I hope that we can be truly repentant and forgiving.
I was able to share this message with those I visit teach. We were able to have a good discussion about forgiveness and how we can be better.
No comments:
Post a Comment